Want to read something that matters? Something that is revolutionary and evolved? Mark Floegel’s Commentary will give you just that. Follow the link. Subscribe! Trust me. You won’t be disappointed.
This man has worked for many organizations (including Greenpeace) doing research, written commentary, audio commentary and God knows what. But whatever his personal and professional experience, his spin on things never ceases to be astoundingly on point and worth the read…even if you don’t agree with his views. Floegel’s writing provokes deeper thought, encourages discussion and debate and provides real ideas about our world’s conditions.
He takes current events and spins them on their heads. He sums up and filters an issue down to its essence, its root and then puts his spin on it. And, Floegel does this in a way that “common” (wo)man can Get It, and the uncommon (wo)man can even take it and run with it! I have found every Commentary to be inspiring and important. Respectful disregard with a dash of practical whimsy is one way to describe Floegel’s attitude and writing style as he comments on the lunacy he finds in current events. Not only will you stay informed, you will stay ahead of the game around the water cooler. If you are feeling feisty, you might even be inspired to community service, social activism, voting, letter-writing, phone-calling or political protesting.
Mark Floegel definitely gets my June 2009 (R)evolutionary Thinking Award!
Floegel’s latest commentary is an important read: Boneheads with Guns. Here’s the not-so-savvy-but-very-heartfelt response I sent him:
I, too, support the Second Amendment (being from Texas, it is practically a legal requirement for state citizenship). I support it because I know that it is essential to equalizing the control we allow our government to have over us. In an emergency, with someone you don't fully trust, you want to know you are protected from their nutball crazy ways if said ways should flare up and involve violence and endangerment. So, I get it from that perspective. I would prefer that our system of government could somehow make the civilians' need for protection unnecessary. But, alas, I am not that kind of genius who can solve such giant world problems by myself.
That being said, I, too, find myself flabbergasted by the BONEHEADS with guns that periodically make headlines for killing our friends, neighbors and relatives (and theirs). Then, of course, we have the actual depraved murderers, the kids and their accidents, the kids and their not-so-accidents, the angry lovers, the military-gone-whackos, the postmen-gone-postals, etc. Jeez! Makes a girl wanna melt her .45 and throw the hot metal goo at the nearest NRA representative. But then all the "sportsmen" would be very upset. You know, it used to be sporting to hunt human slaves through the swamps of Louisiana, too. Doesn't make it right just because it is fun for someone (even lots of someones). (Just a whacko-leftist aside, there....moving on!)
This subject hits close to home for me, too. An idiot, arrogant teenager killed one of my classmates during our senior year in high school when he (like your Allegheny River Bonehead)failed to heed a general rule of thumb with guns: don't shoot them at surfaces that allow ricochet to occur--like sidewalks! So, as my classmate got out of a friend's car, arriving at her own birthday party, the other passenger who had exited before her fired a handgun he discovered under the seat into the air. It didn't go off. Then he pointed it at the sidewalk, pulling the trigger again and making a bang sound. It was quite louder than he expected and my classmate was instantly killed when the bullet ricocheted and passed through her aorta and out her back. I was "lucky" enough to receive a scholarship in her honor that same year when I graduated high school.
The other classmate who was kidnapped, robbed and murdered by teenagers with guns while visiting a cousin in "the big city" (San Antonio) was not there to congratulate me.
Keep writing, Mark. These things you say: they are important.
(END Response To “Boneheads with Guns”)
Please, if you do subscribe to his commentary, always go to Floegel’s site and leave comments and feedback. LIVELY DISCUSSION IS ONE THING THAT KEEPS US MOVING TOWARD (R)EVOLUTION AS INDIVIDUALS, AS A COMMUNITY AND AS A PLANET. It also helps a writer know he is reaching his audience. For that matter, don’t forget to do the same here! I would love to know you are reading this blog and I welcome your feedback.
Namasté, Y’all. More later.
Taj
No comments:
Post a Comment